Friday, December 31, 2010

358 More Shopping Days

It's time to start shopping for Christmas. No, seriously. It really is. And by shopping, of course, I really mean hunting. Kristina shared some really fun ways to get Christmas presents for a LOT less than what most people pay, and yet still be very generous. And what is the secret to those special deals? Starting NOW. Christmas presents and decorations went on sale last week. If you set aside even 5 or 10 dollars a week to watch for things to go one sale starting now, you can be ready for Christmas way before next year's Black Friday.

I, Rachel, think this is going to be particularly important in the coming year. I think this is going to be a lean year for a lot of us, and for me, in particular. My husband was unemployed for the better part of 2010, and I don't see that situation improving significantly in the coming year. But this year we have learned a lot about what it takes to be happy. We have spent time for free fishing and picknicking at the local lake, taking and enjoying each other's company. We have spent a lot of time doing nothing with family. Breaking bread, talking. Sometimes it takes a crisis to find out what really matters.

Think Outside the Bags

Have I started shopping yet? Yes and no. Christmas left us with no extra money afterwards yesterday, so I haven't darkened the door of a retail store since Santa stopped by. But yesterday morning I went outside and found 5 small grocery bags of toys on my front porch - leftovers that our neighbors know I won't say no to. At first I balked at the idea of more toys. Then I snuck them into my van and took them down to Grandma's house. Grandma and I divvied them up and realized that while some of them were in poor condition, some were brand new and some practically so. With a little clean up work, we already have a present stash started for next year. How are you going to start your stash?

No comments: