Monday, December 13, 2010

Hair Cuts - Your Own

I'm not advocating cutting your own hair. I know there are videos and such on it, but I'm not that crazy, yet....lol. The cheapest hair cut that has been a good hair cut for me cost me about $35, which isn't too bad, but I really hate paying for them! I desperately needed a hair cut before this baby comes so I set out to find a reasonable rate this time. In my search I discovered hair cutting schools. They have to learn on someone, so why not brave and willing citizens of the surrounding area? I chose one close to my in-law's house that I've passed many a time. $9 hair cut. Not a bad deal. I would not recommend this idea to people who are terribly picky or who cry easily if its shorter than you wanted it in the first place. If you're open to potentially not getting quite what you asked for and have an hour or more to spare, than its your place!

I was decently pleased with my hair cut. Because I have such thick hair and the guy/girl (yes I'm really not sure) cut it shorter than I wanted it, my cut took 2 HOURS. They have to check in with the teachers than roam the floor and such so it takes longer than a cut at a non-school. Though usually they say it'll only be an hour. One good thing about this shorter than I really wanted it cut so it started poofing out all over the place, was that I discovered thinning shears. I wanted it slightly undercut to help with the poof, but that idea left the building when the cut wound up above chin length instead of slightly below. So out came the thinning shears in the instructors hands and thankfully he's the one that finished the cut. I've never felt my hair this thin before, but it looks good because it doesn't poof out all over the place like it tends to do when its short. I really wanted longer layers so I could braid it back a bit when the baby comes, but because I lost so much weight in my hair, I can go two days without washing it and its looks fine. Not a bad trade off.

Would I go again to this place? Maybe. I would be willing to try a different student and not the one that did my hair this past time. S/he was very nice, but a bit rough and lacked good communication skills and confidence. I think next time I'll try Toni & Guy since their salons are higher priced and therefore I'm thinking their students perhaps already have had some basic training. I would definitely recommend hair schools for practice runs for up-dos and if you've been to a place before and have liked it, even for up-dos for the actual even, like a prom. Go to a professional for your wedding!

1 comment:

Rachel Bostwick said...

You are brave! I didn't realize your hair is thick. We ALL have thick hair and my hair does the poofy thing too. Elijahs looks hilarious when it gets even a little too long. We have a local haircut place that runs coupons that the whole family can use, so we only pay about $10 for an adult, $7 for a kid. But they are not extremely skilled, just very basic.